Monday, March 19, 2012

Spanish Food

Food in Spain is both very similar and very different compared to the U.S. The types of food are fairly similar, but the amount and the times in which the food is eaten is very different.

The eating times in Spain are: breakfast 8:30-9 am, lunch 2-3 pm, and supper/dinner 8:30-9:30 pm. Spaniards eat a lot later compared to the U.S. In a way, I like that the eating times are so much further apart, because it helps me to be less hungry at 10 pm right before I go to sleep and I feel like people snack less often here because of it, I know I do.

The amount of food eaten at each meal is a lot less than what is typically eaten in the U.S. Normally for breakfast my señora gives me café con leche (coffee with milk) and a small pastry/muffin/toast. For lunch is typically soup with bread and a piece of fruit and for dinner we normally have a salad with a small serving of meat, bread, and sometimes fruit.

Soup is a very common dish in Spain, especially during the winter months. We have had all different types of soups in my apartment. One very popular soup is one that is a concoction of pureed vegetables, it is an ok soup, but not my favorite.

Paella is also another popular dish here. It consists of rice, vegetables, and (normally) some type of seafood, but it can be served with any type of meat or without meat. It is one of my favorite dishes here! It is only eaten at lunchtime (the reason for that I am unaware).

Bread is a very popular staple here. It is eaten with almost every meal (not always at breakfast). It is the type of bread that has the hard, crusty outside and the soft, moist inside. It is my favorite food here and I will sorely miss it when I return to the U.S.

Chocolate con churros (chocolate with churros) is a favorite snack/dessert here. It is literally a plate full of churros served with a cup of thick chocolate. You are supposed to dip the churros into the chocolate to eat it. It is a very rich dessert and I normally cannot eat all of the chocolate provided. Other popular desserts are postres (pastries) and helado (ice cream)--it is a lot thicker and contains less sugar than the ice cream in the U.S. Flan is another popular dessert here as well.

Normally eaten during supper-time is the Tortilla Española (Spanish Omelette). It is made with eggs, potato, and sometimes onion, and it tastes almost exactly like an American omelette. I am in love with this dish! Also normally served at supper-time is salad and the Spanish make their salads with olive oil as a dressing and they also put salt on their salads, which I know may sound a little weird, but they are actually very delicious!

Meat-wise seafood is a major staple here. I have had very little chicken or beef since I have been here, although I do know of some students who eat quite a lot of beef and chicken in their homes, so it may differ by the señora.

No comments:

Post a Comment